The Turtle is a multi-functional EAS tag device that is used to secure packaged goods or display products. The Turtle emits a pre-alarm upon slight lifting or sliding. A full alarm sounds if the Turtle is removed from the product or if it passes through an EAS gate. The Turtle can be used independently by attaching its adhesive backing to any packaged good. It can also be attached directly to strapped packaging. Or it can be used with accessories to protect display merchandise. Accessories include a variety of cables with loop, sensor, or USB attachments that connect the Turtle to a display product. The Turtle is available in RF or AM versions.
Retail product theft and its impact on a shopper’s safety and shopping experience are critical issues associated with numerous high-loss products. Retailers want to do their best at deterring theft while simultaneously not harming the customer experience within the store. The Loss Prevention Research Council (LPRC) conducted a series of in-person survey interviews in the Gainesville, Florida, store of a major big-box retailer in order to understand the impact of the Turtle on associates, shoppers, and shoplifters. This research focused on the Turtle’s impact on protecting DEWALT power drills, one of the big-box retailer’s high-loss products. Below are the general findings of the research.
- 97 percent of customers stated that the presence of the Turtle did not have a negative impact on their shopping experience.
- Four out of five customers surveyed said that the presence of the Turtle on the drills did not concern them.
- Over one-quarter of the interviewed customers didn’t even see that the turtle was there.
- 90 percent of the customers believe the Turtle is effective at preventing theft.
- 100 percent of interviewed associates agreed that the Turtle is effective in deterring theft.
- Results indicate 100 percent of associates interviewed about the Turtle strongly agree that it is not disruptive to their daily duties.
- 87 percent of associates feel more aware of high-risk items protected by the Turtle.
- 85 percent of the offenders said they would not steal the product if it was protected by the Turtle.
- 38 percent of offenders interviewed about the Turtle said they would go to another store that didn’t have this measure.
- Over 90 percent of shoplifters noticed the Turtle and all of them understood the purpose of the Turtle.
The Turtle was proven to reduce theft of high-loss products. Offenders’ reaction to the Turtle was that they could see it, they understood what it was, and it deterred them from stealing the item. Visit IntelligentLossPrevention.com to download the full white paper and get more information on other innovative loss prevention solutions.