The investigation-related categories of 2020 The Hall winners were announced Wednesday, July 21, via LinkedIn Live on the magazine LinkedIn page. Nominees were voted on by loss prevention professionals via the LP Portal app. Below is a recap of the winners along with the runners up and finalists. Click on the category header below to read the full descriptions of the winners and nominees.
Announcements of the results of the remaining categories will be made via LinkedIn Live each day this week at 1:00 pm EDT.
Winner: Operation Proof of Purchase CVS ORC Team
A cooperative operation between the organized retail crime (ORC) team at CVS Health and law enforcement led to a $50 million case against a sophisticated ORC operation that had been targeting retailers in the San Francisco Bay area for several years.
- Operation Bleeding Edge, Walmart, Target, Lowes, HD, Albertsons
- Operation Looted and Burned, Rite Aid AP and Sacramento PD
- The Home Depot ORC Team (Texas and Colorado)
Winners: Anna Isabel Marquez and Ryan Puryear, CVS Health
Marquez and Puryear played a fundamental role in Operation Proof of Purchase, one of the largest ORC cases ever recorded in the US. Multiple arrests were made and a mountain of health and beauty products seized, resulting in a $50 million case against a sophisticated operation that had been targeting retailers in the San Francisco Bay area for several years.
- Timothy Kicha, Bloomingdale’s
- Michael Murphy, Retail Business Services/Ahold Delhaize USA
- Chris Walden, Utah C.A.S.E Unit SSA
- Adam Labanosky, Global Investigator II, Walmart
Winner: Adam Berg, Criminal Intelligence Research Specialist at the New England State Police Information Network (NESPIN)
Berg provided a secure platform for retailers, police agencies, and the FBI to communicate and collaborate. His passion for connecting law enforcement with retailers has helped tremendously with information gathering while keeping eyes and ears on the ongoing issue of ORC impacting cities and towns in New England and beyond.
- Det. Brandi “May” Streeter, Oklahoma City PD
- Sgt. Jeff Thomas, Harris County, TX
- Det. Jon Houston and Officer Wesley Aslin, Sacramento PD
- Crime Prevention Supervisor Ed Fritz, Boise PD