We’ve reviewed the submissions and our committee has narrowed down the choices to these outstanding finalists for Social Justice Warrior of the Year! The Social Justice Warrior of the Year is an individual or team that leads by example, listens with empathy, speaks with respect, and stands for what is right. They are driving success with their team, within the community, and for their organization by making a positive impact in the lives of others, whether through successful times, times of change, or times of adversity.
To be eligible for nomination, the Social Justice Warrior of the Year must currently be, or must have shown through their words, actions, and behavior, that they have offered an exemplary role for some or all of the calendar year of nomination. Individuals must be nominated by someone other than themselves.
AND THE FINALISTS ARE…
NOMINEE Dinesh Elangovan, India
Dinesh Pays attention to even little things to ensure accuracy and perfection. He took the initiative in coordinating and leading the webinars and chapter meetings. He arranged guest speakers, platforms, prepared agendas, finalized promotional flyers and ensured he communicated all to the chairman and committee members. He is approachable and an available member of the group. Dinesh has been a very visible and active member of Chennai OSAC group. He is a go to person in the Chennai group and his doors are always open for help and assistance. He is a can-do person with positive attitude. Although his plate is full, he maintains a positive attitude and asks if there is anything else that he can help with. He demonstrates a sense of urgency. Dinesh is a reliable person and is quick for any responses or follow ups whenever any is asked in the OSAC group. He and his communications prove a high level of knowledge and competence.
- “16 employees from Chitradurga were stranded in Tirunelveli. I was running in circles for 14 days for getting interstate passes for these employees. It was not until I got in contact with Mr. Dinesh Elangovan. He told me exactly how to go about getting interstate passes. It was around 10.30 am when he told me to go about it. By 1800 hrs same day I got the passes. He did not just help me, but he has reunited 16 families away from home for 45 days. Hats off sir!”
- Dinesh has set leadership examples by leading and directly contacting the police officers of higher ranks for partnering with OSAC Chennai group and for the members’ benefit. The interactions have helped in gaining information and direction for the group members on matters of crime prevention and traffic regulations. He has also coordinated the meetings between the police officials and the organization representatives of IT sector, which is an approximate representation of 120 ,000 workers. He was instrumental and served as a bridge in CSR initiatives that helped the members in contributing for the police crime prevention strategies.
- Being secretary of the Chennai chapter, he has demonstrated leadership qualities and performed tasks of a leader which has set examples for the team members. When the covid started and all members were busy, he stepped out of the box and arranged platforms for members to connect and arranged experts to talk through the topics of importance ensuring members gain the knowledge. He remained as a leadership point of contact for the group members and addressed the queries that occurred. He ensured members were asked for any potential changes and brough in new initiatives. During the year beginning the OSAC objectives were set and he has ensured those were met within timelines and without any compromises.
- Dinesh has revised the group communication objectives and added information for relevance. He has also come up with statutory information that is required to be followed as per the Indian law and was circuited to the members for compliance. He collated information for OSAC Chennai compliance and submitted to the chairman for review which was later circulated for members. Members were informed about the best practices and requested to follow. All these acts by Dinesh ensured a good standard set in the group.
- Dinesh developed professional relationship with experts in the field and assisted members on whom to contact in case of emergency or matters of importance. As a secretary he has ensured Chennai’s and the other group communications are circulated for the befit of group members. He has ensure surveys are conducted and OSAC Members were part of it.
- Dinesh ensured the chapter visibility and New initiatives were inducted for the group (1) OSAC Chennai chapter Communication Templates refined. (2) All India OSAC Connect platform. (3) WhatsApp data Analysis to understand quality of messages exchanged (4) Biannual Report (5) Networking in LinkedIn to improve Brand visibility and share OSAC messages. He ensured the members database is updated every quarter and all details are available
FINALIST: DICK’S Sporting Goods Diversity & Inclusion Team
The DICK’S Sporting Goods Diversity & Inclusion team exemplifies the true meaning of diversity and inclusion within a retail organization. The D & I team has made tremendous efforts across the entire enterprise, and that commitment is reflected in every area of the business from their leadership and management structure to their marketing campaigns.
Showing diversity and inclusion is regularly featured in their advertising campaigns, featuring individuals from different backgrounds while promoting fitness across the country. They highlight gender diversity in sports participation—and not just in sports traditionally involving men or women, but promoting the idea that sports are for everyone, regardless of gender.
DICK’S has built a culture within the organization that supports diversity and inclusion of individuals from the wide variety of characteristics that make up who we are as people, and as individuals. They promote training programs, but go beyond the training to instill an attitude that offers an example we should all follow. They remind us that each of us are champions in our own way.
FINALIST: Chevarra Orrin
Chevara Orrin, an award-winning diversity, equity & inclusion practitioner, social entrepreneur and human rights activist believes that the only way through, is together. She weaves a compelling, profound personal journey together with her expertise developing innovative initiatives and leading organizations towards more inclusive workplaces. Chevara will provide historical context, help us interrogate our own complicity in systems of inequity, share strategies on how to become allies, and provide tools and resources so that we can begin building a more just world.
Organizations have issued statements of solidarity to reinforce company values about treatment of others, zero tolerance of bias, equality and inclusion. That coupled with growing public scrutiny regarding organizational policies and practices has caused many leaders to re-evaluate their own commitment to racial equality and the impact of racism on the constituents and stakeholders they serve. As institutions seek to understand their role in responding to current incidents and historical, systemic issues, Chevara believes we should all get more comfortable having uncomfortable conversations—that we have the possibility to transform in ways that may have seemed inaccessible in the past.
FINALIST: The International Organization of Black Security Executives (IOBSE)
The leading organization for minority security professionals, The International Organization of Black Security Executives (IOBSE) was founded with the mission to impart professional resources to aid in the integration of security management into business operations, provide education and training to keep practitioners and students abreast of current trends in security operations and technology, and assist in professional networking in order to facilitate the exchange of information, ideas, knowledge, and experience. This message is supported through conferences, scholarship programs, and other events.
Embracing diversity is becoming more and more important as the world continues to shrink and the demographics of our society transform in a global environment. This is just as important in the workplace, where we have come to recognize the value of an employee population that respects and supports our human differences. By learning to better understand each other we can better appreciate the unique contributions that people with variable backgrounds and experiences can bring to the workforce; creating a positive and nurturing work environment that maximizes the potential of all employees.
Our message is one of workplace inclusion rather than separation; with the fundamental goal to broaden the thought processes of our teams. We are focused on the identification and development of talent, and helping to develop the leadership skills that translate to success in the business environment.
HOW TO VOTE
DOWNLOAD THE LP PORTAL MOBILE APP FROM THE APPLE APP STORE FOR iOS, OR GOOGLE PLAY STORE FOR ANDROID. (SEARCH FOR “LP PORTAL”).
ONCE YOU INSTALL THE APP AND REGISTER, ACCESS “THE HALL” CHANNEL AND FOLLOW THE LINKS FOR VOTING
EACH CATEGORY WILL BE OPEN FOR AT LEAST TWO WEEKS OF VOTING – TELL YOUR COWORKERS, YOUR PEERS, AND YOUR FRIENDS – AND GET THE WORD OUT TO VOTE ON THE FINALIST YOU FEEL MOST DESERVES TO WIN!