Juvenile faces adult charges in phone store robbery
The first of six juveniles accused in the February armed robbery at an AT&T store now faces formal charges. Taevon Felton, 17, was indicted Wednesday on two counts of aggravated robbery and one count of kidnapping, each with a three-year firearm specification, plus one count of improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle, according to a Montgomery County grand jury report. Felton is one of seven teens, including six juveniles, from the Trotwood and Dayton areas accused in a bold daylight raid on a cellphone store, 8245 Old Troy Pike. They wore masks and hats, threatened employees and a customer with death, and loaded up on merchandise within a span of about three minutes. Officers apprehended all the suspects after a brief manhunt.
It just so happened that all of Huber Heights’ police detectives, administrative officers and street crews were in the vicinity, as well as a large contingent from other departments taking part in SWAT training, Huber Heights police Lt. Matt Dulaney said at the time. A Montgomery County Sheriff’s detective has said all seven defendants are tied to either the 2Hunnid or Uptown gangs. Prosecutors filed motions to have the other five juveniles tried as adults, but the others have not yet been indicted, online court records show. Caleb Johnson, 18, was the only suspect who was an adult at the time of the crimes. He was indicted in February for two counts of aggravated robbery and single counts of kidnapping and improper handling of a firearm in a motor vehicle according to court records. In March, he was indicted for four additional kidnapping charges, according to online records. He remains out of jail on $50,000 bond and electronic home monitoring. Felton remains held in the Montgomery County Juvenile Justice Center. He is scheduled to be arraigned in June 5 in adult court. [Source: WHIO7 News]
Violent foursome accused of shoplifting
Westchester County Police allege four New York City residents attempted to steal items from Rite Aid on South Moger Avenue and then fought with loss prevention staff that confronted them. They were arrested on robbery and larceny charges May 22. Two female employees were injured when they were struck and shoved by the quartet as they tried to flee the store, police said. The four fled the scene in a black BMW. However, they were located and stopped by Officers Kyle McCarrick and Daniel Dumser near Kirby Plaza. Other officers responded and the four were taken into custody. The BMW was impounded and several cartons of Rogaine that had been taken from Rite Aid were recovered. In addition, 11 cell phones, three tablet computers and foil-lined shopping bags commonly used in shoplifting incidents were also seized, police said. An investigation is continuing into the origins of the cell phones and tablet computers. The four were charged with Robbery 2nd Degree, a felony, and Criminal Possession of Stolen Property 5th Degree, a misdemeanor. They are identified as: Ashintile Clinton, 46, of Manhattan; Damon Ellis, 45, of State Island; and Fatima Mohammed, 34, and Jasmine Luz Ramos, 23, both of the Bronx. [Source: Chappaqua Patch]
Shoplifting suspects almost runs over police officer outside mall
Police say a driver tried to run over an officer just outside the Cambridge Galleria mall. The incident started when police were alerted about two shoplifters at the Massachusetts mall Wednesday afternoon around 5:40. When officers tried to stop the women, the driver drove straight at a police officer, barely missing him. Police pursued the vehicle, at which point the women ditched the car and fled on foot, according to police. Neighbors said they saw the two women in their 20s drove down the street throwing clothes and other items out the window before parking the car and taking off. Police believe the women took off with about $1,200 worth of clothing. Both suspects were taken into custody. Both women are 23 years old from Boston. Police say the officer was shaken up, but otherwise not injured. [Source: WCVB5 News]
Woman takes daughter and two grandchildren on shoplifting spree
A woman is accused of taking her daughter, and two grandchildren on a shoplifting spree in Gainesville, Florida. Gainesville Police said Cavetta Corbett, 47, was with her daughter and two grandchildren at the Belk’s in the Oaks Mall when they left the store with stolen items. An employee attempted to stop Corbett but she left in her car. Corbett hit three other parked cars while leaving, officers were able to catch up with her and arrest her. She has been released from jail and faces several charges including cruelty to a child, hit and run, and shoplifting. Corbett has an arraignment date set for June 19th. [Source: WJCB20 News]
Sporting goods store employee charged with theft
A DICK’S Sporting Goods employee in West Virginia, is facing embezzlement charges after taking merchandise from the store. Fesenmeier Tate Brumfield of Huntington embezzled approximately $900 worth of merchandise over the course of approximately one month. A loss prevention official from the company filed the complaint against Brumfield on Tuesday after it was discovered that he was removing security sensors from items and wearing them out of the store. One item was returned to the store. The suspect provided a statement and was released pending investigation. [Source: The Herald-Dispatch]
Three arrested after arrest for larceny, linked to at least 29 other thefts
Three men are in police custody after a string of larcenies in Kent County spanning over the last several months. The most recent crime occurred on Wednesday, May 23 at the Sprint store in the Village of Sparta, Michigan. Police say around 6:30 p.m. the men stole several cell phones and ran from the scene to a nearby wooded area. A perimeter was established and with the assistance of several police K9’s and a Michigan State Police helicopter, all of the suspects were taken into custody.
The incident shook up Sparta residents due to the intensity of the response. “I kept seeing and hearing this helicopter and it was really close. He just kept circling and circling, and I thought what in the world,” said lifelong Sparta resident, Karen Crissey. Crissey said she had never experienced something like this before. Police caught and arrested one of the men just outside her home.
The Kent County Sheriff’s Office said they believe the three men are part of a larger group responsible for as many as 29 cell phone theft complaints over the last few months. “We had been alerted from the Kent County Sheriff’s Office that there was a ring going around doing these cell phone robberies and the suspects fit the description,” said the Village of Sparta’s chief of police, Andrew Milanowski. The sheriff’s office first started picking up on the similarities of the thefts on April 1, 2018. In most cases, the suspects stole display cell phones during business hours. The three suspects currently in custody are being held on conspiracy to commit retail fraud charge with the possibility of further charges later. The young men face arraignment in the 63rd District Court. [Source: ABC13 OnYourSide]