How to Stop Shoplifting: There’s more to it than grabbing bad guys
Learn more about shoplifting and organized retail crime methods with this FREE report
Dear Loss Prevention Professional,
Catching shoplifters: It’s the most basic part of an LP pro’s job.
Or is it?
These days, it’s all too easy to focus on a simple crime like shoplifting as the culprit in retail shrink. But that’s a costly attitude, as the percentage of shrink due to nonprofessional shoplifting continues to drop while organized retail crime continues to rise.
It’s also dangerous. Apprehension is becoming increasingly violent, and with those shrink percentages dropping, and most merchandise retrieved in an incident worth relatively little, it hardly seems worth the risk to grab a bad guy.
So what should a modern LP pro do about shoplifting? The answer is in the FREE Special Report from LP Magazine, Tips on How to Stop Shoplifting: What You Can Learn from Shoplifting Statistics, Organized Retail Crime Facts and Shoplifting Stories
Download your FREE copy of this Special Report right now!
Is this report something you can trust? Absolutely: It comes from LP Magazine, formerly known as LossPrevention, which was founded in 2001 by loss prevention professionals to fill the void for news, information, and educational content for all LP pros. Over the past decade and a half, LP Magazine has established itself as the premier voice of the LP industry, providing in-depth, timely articles for LP professionals and retail management.
Our custom publishing arm also delivers education and training to retail organizations on critical loss prevention, safety, and operational policies and procedures. What’s more, we’re deeply involved in the training and certification provided by the Loss Prevention Foundation, and we’re also aligned with our sister company, LPJobs.com, the leading retail security and loss prevention employment site on the Web.
You can see that we live, sleep, eat and breathe loss prevention. So why not take this rare opportunity to get something valuable for absolutely nothing?
Do you need to know how to stop shoplifting only – or is there more to it?
The problem is that there’s so much more to shoplifting than stopping a thief on his or her way out the door. Organized retail crime, from simple return fraud to highly organized booster bag groups, is a much greater threat to your company’s bottom line. That’s why this free report covers it all: the data, the ORC strategies and the tactics used successfully against it all.
In fact, this free report is designed to help you…
• Understand the threat to your organization that shoplifting and ORC represent
• Identify the skills and expertise that you, as an LP pro, should be developing to combat the threats
• Discover the common mistakes LP pros can make in trying to fight shoplifting and ORC
• Learn how to coordinate with local law enforcement effectively
• Uncover the secrets to successful surveillance
• Establish proactive shoplifting and ORC prevention policies that could save your organization millions of dollars, and put your career on a fast track to success
For example, did you realize that in many cases, the retail industry itself – maybe even your store – is its own worst enemy? How much stolen merchandise is coming in through your delivery doors?
And then there’s the value of shoplifter apprehensions: Contrary to much conventional wisdom, stopping shoplifters does not have much impact on total shrink reduction. Many retailers allocate a large portion of their loss prevention budget to fighting external theft, but the reality is that shoplifting only yields a small fraction of yearly shrink compared to other causes.
Then again, as mentioned above, individual shoplifters are sometimes the least of your worries. According to an organized retail crime Survey, ORC losses total an estimated $30 billion annually.
As you can see, there’s plenty of misinformation floating around out there, along with misdirected policies based on that same information. That’s why every LP pro should read this FREE Special Report.
How to stop shoplifting: The experts speak
This special report includes a vast amount of advice from LP pros all around the country who have been deeply engaged in preventing both shoplifting and ORC. Sgt. James Carroll, a 25-year veteran of policing, relates how when he joined The Gap as an LP professional, his region created an undercover program facilitated through plainclothes weekend observations and immediately began making apprehensions with recoveries from $20,000 to $55,000.
Other expert advice: David Zulawski, CFI, CFE, chairman and senior partner at Wicklander-Zulawski & Associates, explains how LP pros should actually get out of their offices and out from behind their surveillance cameras to beef up their efforts against shoplifting and ORC. “LP investigators should pretend they’re in sales, because good networking can build relationships to help solve crime in the community as a whole, not just for your organization,” he says.
Then there are words of wisdom about reaching out to law enforcement from Mike Battles, CFI, regional LP manager for Stage Stores. “At Stage Stores we host our own networking meetings twice a year. At the first one we had twenty people attend. Now we have more than 130, including area LP professionals, local, federal, secret service, and even postal inspectors in surrounding jurisdictions. We’re able to meet, get contact information, and understand each other’s problems so we can help each other as a community. It’s not about just retail. It’s about supporting your community as a whole. There is no better way to make those connections than in person.”
In this special report, you’ll also get advice from …
• Hal Cunningham, principal of Surveillance Consultants and a former Toronto Police Staff Sergeant and member of their elite surveillance unit, who explains why and how to set up special ORC surveillance teams in your own organization
• Read Hayes, Ph.D., CPP, director of the Loss Prevention Research Council with over 30 years of crime and loss control experience, who explains the ever-changing impact of return fraud and abuse with the help of Caroline Cardone, former researcher for the Loss Prevention Research Team at the University of Florida
There are many more – too many to mention here – but you get the picture. Get their advice by downloading Tips on How to Stop Shoplifting: What You Can Learn from Shoplifting Statistics, Organized Retail Crime Facts and Shoplifting Stories right now!
Actionable tips on how to stop shoplifting and ORC
As you may have noticed, this report doesn’t just discuss theory. It’s filled with actual hands-on advice on the many different types of shoplifting and ORC and the strategies for fighting this threat to your company. Download it now to read about …
• Specific tactics consumers use for fraudulent returns
• 7 types of information you should have in a theft report before you hand it over to law enforcement
• 5 things not to do in investigating ORC
• 3 shoplifting principles to remember
Plus, you’ll want to consider these practical, proven ideas for stopping shoplifting and ORC:
• Teaching in-house investigators within a structured surveillance training program, with proper training in acting, clothing choices, vehicle choices, mobile and foot techniques, communication skills, use of props, eye locations, aggressive driving techniques, and dozens of other related subjects. Major organized shoplifting rings have been broken by the ORC investigators performing these skills while mobile and on foot surveillance.
• Forming a targeted approach to identifying and intercepting such abuse schemes using software to detect, track, and address offenders and offending patterns. Such a system should accurately identify “bad” or high-impact returners first by pinpointing the specific behavioral patterns characteristic of fraud and abuse.
With all of this practical information readily available in one single FREE Special Report, no LP professional should overlook this opportunity. I know you’re dedicated to stopping the bad guys, and this is your chance to enhance your knowledge and skills.
I urge you to seize this opportunity now!
Yours for stopping the bad guys,
P.S.: Remember, this comprehensive, career-boosting Special Report is absolutely FREE. You can’t beat an offer like that!
P.P.S.: What do habitual offenders say is the most effective means of deterring people like them after being caught? Find out in Tips on How to Stop Shoplifting: What You Can Learn from Shoplifting Statistics, Organized Retail Crime Facts and Shoplifting Stories!